Maye Ni  Maiye  




    Maye Ni Maye,

Mother o Mother

   Main Ek Shikra Yaar Banaya,

I have befriended a hawk



    Ude Siir De Kalgi,

With a plume on her head

    Te Ude Paryi Jhanjar,

and Payal on her feet

    O Chog Chuginda Ayaa,

she came pecking for grains.



    Ek ohde Roop Dee Dhup Tikheri,

Firstly, her beauty, radiant as sunlight,

    O Duja Mehka Da Tirhaya,

Secondly, smelling, as if immersed in perfume



    Teeja ohda Rang Gulabi,

Thirdly, her Skin color, that of rose

    O Kise Gori Maa Da Jaya,

Child of any fair mother.



    Ishqe Da Ek Palang Nawari,

I prepared one bed of love,

    Weh Asa Chananiya vich daya,

and laid it in moonlight.

   Tan Di Chadar Ho Gayi Maili,

sheet of my body got dirty

   Os Pair Ja Palgi Paya,

when her feet touched it



    Dukhan mere Naina De Koye,

I lost my sight in sorrows

   Te vich Harh Hanjua Da Ayaa,

A flood of tears engulfed my eyes,

   Sari Raat Gayi vich Socha,

Whole night passed thinking

   Us Aye Ki zulm Kamaya,

why I earned this pain.

   Subha Savere Layni Vatna,

early morning, with Scrub paste

   We Asa Mal Mal os Navaya,

I scrubbed and bathed 

    Dehi De vich Niklan Chinga,

dust exuded from body

    Ni Sada Haath Gaya Kumlaya,

and my hands got ragged



    Churi Kuta Ta O Khanda Nahi,

She never ate food of Love

    Weh Asa Dil Da Maas Khawaya,

so I served flesh of my heart.

     Ek Udari Aisi Mari,

She took a great flight

     O Mud Vatni Na Aya,

And never returned back to country

     O Maye Nee,

O my Mother

     Main Ek Shikra Yaar Banaya…

I have befriended a hawk…

– Ek dard bhari dastaan from Shiv Kumar Batalvi (King of pain).


Singer: Jagjit Singh


Lyricist: Shiv Kumar Batalvi (Birah da Sultan)

- written on the occasion by him, when he learns about his Girl Friend Maina,  who flew to UK, gets married there to someone else, and gives birth to her first child.

Translated in English by Manoj Agarwal.
for more english essays visit Sarkari Naukri


8 Comments

  1. wah.........shive kuamr

    churi kuttan wo khanda nahi
    te mai dill da maans khawaya...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful thought of a modern punjabipoet

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was not written for his girlfriend as he mentioned in his own interview that he had no such issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the lovely translation,
    keep up the good work,
    God bless you !!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for translation so much

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post